RHYMES INC.
When I first came across this poem it was in a little book titled
"Boys' Third Standard."
It was listed as "ANON" this was in 1873 when the book was published.
It is wonderful when you have read and loved a poem and then
THE VOICE OF THE GRASS
Sarah Roberts Boyle [1812-1869]
Here I come creeping, creeping everywhere;
By the
dusty roadside,
On the sunny hillside,
Close by the noisy brook,
In
every shady nook,
I come creeping, creeping everywhere.Here I come creeping, smiling everywhere;
All round the open
door,
Where here sit the aged poor;
Here where the children play,
In
the bright and merry May,
I come creeping, creeping everywhere.Here I come creeping, creeping everywhere;
In the noisy city street
Cheering the sick at heart
Toiling his busy
part, -
Silently creeping, creeping everywhere.Here I come creeping, creeping everywhere;
You cannot see me
coming,
Nor hear my low sweet humming;
For in the starry night,
And the
glad morning light,
I come quietly creeping everywhere.Here I come creeping, creeping everywhere;
More welcome than the
flowers
In summer's pleasant hours;
The gentle cow is glad,
And the
merry bird not sad,
To see me creeping, creeping everywhere.Here I come creeping, creeping everywhere;
When you're numbered with the
dead
In your still and narrow bed,
In the happy spring I'll come
And
deck your silent home, -
Creeping, silently creeping everywhere.Here I come creeping, creeping everywhere;
My humble song of
praise
Most joyfully I raise
To Him at whose command
I beautify the
land,
Creeping, silently creeping everywhere.Sarah Roberts Boyle [1812 - 1867]
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
was born in Sri Lanka, and came to Wales to convalesce during World War II. After the War he moved to Llanelen (a few miles North of Goytre Wharf) where he did most of the research for Rape of the Fair Country, before moving to Holywell Road in Abergavenny, his home for many years. 

So much nicer the blog when you can see all the cyclamen on the page, I do wish I could find out more about Sarah Roberts Boyle. Nothing on the UK Wikie or Google, bar her name. Seligor.xxx
ReplyDelete